The today’s St Mary’s Parish Church dedicated to Mary Help of Christians was built in the Eighties.
In the 1970s, when the former Selva Gardena Parish Church was about 100 years old, the wish for a new and bigger church came up. The reason for this was the increasing number of inhabitants and guests in Selva Gardena in the 1970s. For the construction of the new church, the townhall and the main road had to be relocated.
The neo-Gothic nave was demolished, in its place there is an octagonal building today. The chancel with the picture of the Virgin Mary done by Lucas Cranach the Younger, however, has been preserved since the 17th century. The German Renaissance painter originally realised the image for the Holy Cross Church (Heiligkreuzkirche) in Dresden in Gemany.
On the exterior wall of the sacristy a coat of arms stone of the Wolkenstein Family especially reminds on Wilhelm von Wolkenstein, who let build already in 1503 the first chapel at the current location of the parish church. It was dedicated to Mary Help of Christians (Latin: Sancta Maria Auxilium Christianorum).
Church service Saturdays at 6 pm, Sundays at 9.30 am.